Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation Scoring System
- no specific treatment other than that directed against predisposing condition
- bleeding – replace platelets and coagulation factors
- cryoprecipitate 10 units = fibrinogen 2.5 g –> but this rarely helps, consumption of platelets and coagulation proteins can aggravate thrombosis
- heparin is ineffective in retarding microvascular thrombosis (due to depletion of antithrombin III)
- give heparin with AT-III? – 90-120 units load then 90-120 units daily x 4 days (no evidence for improvement in mortality)
Marino, Paul L, and Kenneth M Sutin. The ICU Book. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2007. Print.