Units: ng/mL (normal <0.10)
1. predicting progression to severe sepsis / septic shock (taken on D1 ICU admission)
- >2 = high risk
- <0.5 = low risk
2. As guide to Abx therapy in respiratory infections
- <0.1 = ABx not needed
- >0.5 = ABx needed
- precursor of calcitonin
- produced by parafollicular cells of thyroid gland and neuroendocrine cells of lung / intestine / other tissues in response to inflammation, esp bacterial.
- serum values correlate with severity of sepsis, recede with improvement, worsen with exacerbation.
- Bacteremia (Sn 76%, Sp 70%)
- systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS)
- septic shock.