Hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg):
- protein on surface of virus
- high levels during acute or chronic infection
- indicates that person is infectious
Hepatitis B surface antibody (anti-HBs)
- indicates recovery and immunity
- also develops in a person successfully vaccinated, persists for life
- indicates previous or ongoing infection in an undefined time-frame
- IgM antibody core antigen indicates recent infection (<6 months) – indicates acute infection.
2016. Web. https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hbv/pdfs/serologicchartv8.pdf 11 June 2016.