Elements of EVD infection control protocol for EVD placement.
- wide clipping of head – enough to fit a medium-sized Tegaderm
- apply chlorhexidine-alcohol – first skin prep
- full draping followed by second chlorhexidine-alcohol skin preparation with the surgeon wearing gown, gloves, cap, and mask and full barrier precautions used throughout
- minocycline/rifampin antibiotic-impregnated EVD catheter tunneled 3 to 5 cm; secured with curvilinear line of surgical staples
- apply benzoin tincture to skin broadly and fully dry
- apply biopatch over exit site (not wrapping around catheter)
- apply medium-sized transparent dressing film
- secure borders of transparent dressing film and catheter with adhesive strips
Flint, Alexander C. et al. “A Simple Protocol To Prevent External Ventricular Drain Infections”. Neurosurgery 72.6 (2013): 993-999. Web.