5 Major Studies on Treatment of VA Stenosis:
- CAVATAS (1997) = Carotid and Vertebral Artery Transluminal Angioplasty Study
- SAMMPRIS (2011) = Stenting and Aggressive Medical Management for the Prevention of Recurrent Stroke in Intracranial Stenosis
- VISSIT (2012) = Vitesse Intracranial Stent Study for Ischemic Therapy
- VAST (2013) = Vertebral Artery Stenting Trial
- VIST (2015) = Vertebral Artery Ischaemia Stenting Trial
*year = end of recruitment.
Key features of the trials comparing stenting with medical treatment which included vertebral stenosis
- DAPT x 90d
- BP reduction <140mm Hg
- Angio +/- stenting
- low perioperative complications with extracranial stenting
- higher risk of stroke with intracranial VA stenosis
- stenting = medical management for extracranial stenosis
- medical management better for intracranial stenosis
Drazyk, A. and Markus, H. (2017). Recent advances in the management of symptomatic vertebral artery stenosis. Current Opinion in Neurology, p.1.